Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Shrimp Fra Diavolo


I've pretty much been an anti-seafood girl all my life. I think it had something to do with the fact that my mom wouldn't cook any of the fish my dad and I caught on our frequent deep sea fishing trips because it's "smelly." Somehow, I adopted her aversion as my own without question. But, now..... I have seen the light. Okay, okay, that light only extends to salmon and shrimp but, man, that's coming a LONG way. Aubrey begs me for some form of seafood every week and I've been harshly turning him down flat for eight years. Now, it's time for a little redemption. ( And, NO, I'm not ready to make crawdads, darling...)


Behold, Scampi Fra Diavolo, adapted from Bon Appetit November 2008.

This dish combines the garlic of scampi with the spice of traditional Shrimp Fra Diavolo in absolute harmony. Oh, and it's super easy to make. Bonus! Serve over rice, orzo, or whatever compatable grain you may have. I used leftover Saffron Rice from French night and it was great.


Scampi Fra Diavolo- Serves 4

3 Tbsp. butter, separated

1/3 c. Panko ( japanese bread crumbs...now available at Wal-Mart, for those of us living in towns without grocery stores.)

1/2 c. chopped, flat leaf parsley

1 1/4 cup uncooked lrg, shrimp with tail on ( I used medium with tail off....I didn't want to put too much effort into this.)

2 Tbsp EVOO ( yeah, I totally forgot this part)

1 1/2 c. Thinly sliced red onion

5 minced garlic cloves

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, dried. ( add more...wimps.)

2/3 c dry white wine

Lemon wedges

1. Melt 1 tbsp. butter and saute panko and parsley until lightly browned.
2. Remove, set aside. Clean out skillet.
3. Melt 2 tbsp butter and EVOO in same skillet and saute onion until almost soft.
4. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; saute 1 min.
5. Add shrimp and saute until just opaque.
6. Add wine and simmer until reduced and thickened... about 2-3 minutes.
7. Season with S/P to taste.

Serve over rice, or whatever, and top with panko mix and lemon wedges.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Natasha said...

Simple AND beautiful! I love it!