Monday, January 5, 2009

Fettucine Alfredo



Fettucine Alfredo has sadly found it's way out of my regular rotation of meals since I decided I needed to lose weight. It's sudden absence might just start to explain how hubby and I recently lost 40 pounds. Each. Yeah, that's a fourth grader.

Lately, though, I've been missing it and, since I want to make these calories count, I shunned Bertolli and went straight to my dear friend, Natasha, for her fabulous alfredo recipe. FROM SCRATCH! I learned how to make this with her last winter when we made noodles FROM SCRATCH to go with it. ( Note: We also tried this in the summer to no success...make noodles in the winter, friends.) I used this handy, pasta press. These will run you about 70 bucks unless you're cool like me and know Natasha who hands these out for housewarming gifts. Seriously. Buy a house and it shows up like magic. Natasha and the gang also show up demanding fresh pasta but that's the price you pay...
Anyway, here's the recipe. I halved it (perfect for two) and added grilled shrimp and mushrooms prepared on the side. ( Butter, shrimp, and mushrooms plus garlic, italian seasoning, and.... presto!)


Natasha's Fettuccine Alfredo from http://www.mylifeastoldbyfood.blogspot.com/

Click here for a printable version


Serves 4

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 c. heavy cream
2/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
12 oz. fettuccine


Put some water on to boil in a large pot.

Melt butter slowly in a medium saucepan. Whisk in cream and bring mixture to a slow boil.
Simmer for five minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in Parmesan incrementally, making sure cheese is melted before adding more.Add salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic to taste.


If using dry pasta, cook according to package directions, being careful not to overcook.
If using fresh, drop pasta the boiling pot of water all at once. Quickly bring the water back to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Cook the pasta 2-3 minutes, being careful not to overcook, and drain well.


Add sauce to noodles and toss until noodles are thoroughly coated. Serve immediately, with extra cheese and red pepper flakes handed around at the table.

No comments: