Saturday, April 18, 2009

Frijoles Negros De Cubana

So, I have no idea if that actually says "Cuban Black Beans," but let's say for arguement's sake that it does. And let's also say that they're simple and delicious. And while we're at it, we can assume that they're authentic, too, right? Let's not go crazy, I guess.

How I arrived at this recipe was a bit of a rebellion...you see, we eat a lot of beans at this house and I'd grown up with a certain prejudice to black beans. My mom is a pinto loyalist to the core. Black beans were "Tex-Mex" and, as a rule, we don't do that stuff. Tijuana, yes. El Paso, no. So, I was feeling rather liberal and wanted to try these babies out. Granted, I didn't go Tex-Mex( which I'm happy to report, I've had and love) but I did stray far from the bean of my childhood.

Frijoles Negros ( Adapted from a five-star recipe on RecipeZaar found here!)

Serves 6

About 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 (10 ounce) cans black beans with juice (don't hate the cans.)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped ( sometimes, if I'm getting lazy, I use 2, 4 oz. cans of green chiles.)
4 cloves garlic, minced ( you know you wanna use the jar stuff...)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar ( oh my gosh, use more...it's amazing.)

1. Saute the pepper ( or chiles) and onion with the oil.
2. Add the garlic.
3. Add a bit of bean juice until everything gets soft.
4. Add the rest of the beans, all the spices, and simmer 30 minutes.
5. Add vinegar just before serving. Add a bunch. Then, add more. Yum.

We eat these over rice as a whole meal now...not the most gourmet thing I've ever done but sometimes it just hits the spot. I've made them as a side to roast chicken and I've actually made them on a camping trip, as well...they're so easy, especially if you pack the other ingredients already prepared. So, go try new things! Am I the only one with random food prejudices?

No comments: