Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tropical Shrimp Salad

 I'm back. Truth be told, I seriously haven't made a new recipe in months. I've been whipping up old standbys so I don't have to exert brain cells. I figure I have a good excuse, though... We're gonna have a baby!!! Come October, two become three and we can't wait. I totally love being pregnant. I feel so special and when I want mashed potatoes PRONTO, I get mashed potatoes pronto. Fortunately, I've had virtually no morning sickness ( only one episode, but I'm pretty sure that had to do with Taco Bell overload more than baby formation.) I was completely fatigued though for the first three months. Baby forming is tiring work.

Anyway, I'm still not quite back to my level of enthusiasm for trying new and complicated recipes and the summer heat is no time to be spent in the kitchen. That's why I love this salad that Aubrey and I invented. Heat involvement is limited, it's super filling, and perfectly summery. And, I can keep up the 2012 no recipe trend because this salad doesn't really have one.

But here's the gist:

Tropical Shrimp Salad
(Serves 1 hungry guy and 1 hungry pregnant person)
  • Generous Portion of Salad Greens ( I use 50/50 Spring Mix and Baby Spinach)
  •  A variety of chopped fruit as long as you include mango ( because otherwise the "Tropical" title would just be dumb.) My favorite combo thus far has been red grapes, asian pear, and champagne mango.
  • About 1b. of large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on. 
  • Awesome Shrimp marinade- Dijon Mustard, Soy Sauce, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Orange Marmalade, and Honey (optional) to taste. It should taste more sweet than mustardy so go easy on the mustard.
  • Delicious Dressing- Orange Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Honey, Herbs De Provence, and a dash of crushed red pepper. Salt and Pepper to taste- Blend well- should total about 1/2 cup ( someday I will measure what I actually do here.)
Directions:

  • Marinate shrimp and let set for 10 minutes or so, then skewer shrimp ( about 6 to a long skewer.)
  • In the meantime, chop up your fruit.

  • Arrange on greens like shown...
  • Grill Shrimp about 1 minute on each side and then place on salad. Don't forget the dressing!!!
  • And, that's it. It's amazing. I hope you'll try it!

No comments: