Thursday, August 14, 2008

Smothered Salmon

I'm not afraid to say it... I'm not a huge fan of fish. Salmon is tolerable I suppose, but usually when I make fish for my husband I end up with a bowl of cereal. Now, this little dish might make my Kix feel like nothing more than cheeseless cheetos. This, dear friends, is Smothered Salmon courtesy of Rachel Ray Everyday. I will write the recipe as she presents it but, as usual, I didn't follow it very closely. So, sue me.

Serves 4 ( I made it for 2)
1 pound plum tomatoes, quartered. ( I used 1/2 a container of grape tomatoes, halved)
1 onion, quarted lenthwise and sliced crosswise ( wtf? I used half and just took a knife to it)
1 jalepeno chile, seeded and sliced lengthwise ( yes, maam)
2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced ( or, a spoon of that minced stuff in the jar, eh?)
2 1/2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
Salt and Pepper
8 Green Olives, chopped ( I did this but then I forgot about them so I think my cat ate some)
4 8 oz Salmon fillets ( I used 2)
1 10 oz box of plain couscous, cooked ( I only made two servings)

OKAY!
1. Preheat oven to 450. I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper because I got a load of it at amazon for like 20 bucks. Score! Then, toss together the tomatoes, onion, jalepeno, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until lightly charred. I went for 20 minutes. Then toss with the olives if you remember them.
2. This is the step I skipped. Boiled salmon didn't sound like it would flip my wig so I went with grilling it with salt/pepper and a little olive oil ( yum.) BUT, if I were inclined to follow the rules, I would have done this: Fill a large skillet halfway with water and bring to boil. Add a tsp of salt and place the salmon skin side down in the pan. Place a lid on top and lower the heat to simmer until opaque. Transfer to plate and discard the skin. Blah.
3. Fluff couscous ( what is this stuff? It's great!) and serve with the salmon and throw the veggies on top!

That's it. It was easy and I will definitely make it again.

No comments: